The Big BT ISDN &
The Big BT ISDN & PSTN Switch-off
BT Openreach have announced their intention to cease their PSTN (Analogue line) and ISDN (Digital networks). BT plan to stop the supply of any new connections in 2020 and a full migration to newer technologies by 2025. All businesses currently working with PSTN Lines (standard telephone line) or ISDN Lines (used for multi-line telephone & data systems) will be affected.
Why Are BT phasing out ISDN and PSTN?
Both solutions are now very old technologies with quite high costs and technical limitations. PSTN is the traditional telephone line network which carries analogue voice & data over copper lines. This technology dates back to the late 1800’s and has served us well. However, new technology brings cost savings and increased reliability.
The ISDN network was Introduced in 1986 and allowed both voice and data services to be delivered simultaneously. Technology has since moved on and old telephone solutions are lagging behind the cheaper, more flexible alternatives based around a VoIP system (Voice over Internet Protocol).
What new technologies are available?
Businesses that would have traditionally looked at PSTN & ISDN Lines would now look to move to a VoIP solution. There are many different solutions available with the worlds biggest called 3CX. More information on 3CX and their solutions can be found on their website at www.3cx.com.
As with all VoIP solutions, it utilises your internet connection to connect to users on VoIP or traditional phone systems, usually with the use of SIP Trunks to provide a reliable, feature-rich telephone solution.
What are the advantages of a VoIP / 3CX Telephone System?
- Affordability – Businesses can save up-to 50% compared to their existing, traditional telephone system costs by swapping to a VoIP based solution. Call costs are either included in your package (Local, Mobile & National) or up to 90% cheaper than traditional telephone systems.
- Quality – 3CX VoIP uses HD quality audio, this is a clearer more natural sound when compared to traditional PSTN / ISDN Telephone system (only enabled on VoIP to VoIP calls).
- Features – All our 3CX solutions come with a long list of features, previously only enjoyed on Enterprise telephone systems such as Call Recording, Visual Voicemail, Ring Groups, Multi-Tier Menu Systems, Microsoft Teams & Comprehensive Call Statistics.
- Flexibility – 3CX has a smartphone application that allows your smartphone to become your VoIP phone. You can use it anywhere (on Wi-Fi, 4G or 5G Connections) and enjoy the free calls from your mobile. There is also an app for Windows & Mac devices. You can also add and remove features and users very easily with a local or cloud-based administration portal.
- Choice – 3CX supports a wide range of hardware solutions. Telephones and devices from Yealink, Snom, Grandstream, Cisco & Fanvil are all supported from simple cordless DECT phones to widescreen, colour LCD executive phones and conference phones. 3CX also support various Fax devices & services.
Computors Ltd are 3CX Silver Partners and more information can be found on our website: VOIP Telephone Systems
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the options available to you please don’t hesitate to contact us.